Rally to Support Pelican Bay and California Prison Hunger Strike
Chicago Rally to Support Pelican Bay and California Prison Hunger Strike
Friday, July 22 · 4:30pm
State of Illinois James R Thompson Center
100 W Randolph Street (downtown Chicago)
URGENT NEED to act to support the Hunger Strike!
The Hunger Strike in Pelican Bay and other California prisons is about to enter it’s 4th week. Every person of conscience needs to think about what actions they can take in support.
More info at: http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/ and http://revcom.us/
Things you can do at: http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/take-action/
Core Demands in Brief:
1) End “group punishment” where an individual prisoner breaks a rule and prison officials punish a whole group of prisoners of the same race.
2) Abolish “debriefing” and modify active/inactive gang status criteria. False and/or highly questionable “evidence” is used to accuse prisoners of being active/inactive members of prison gangs who are then sent to the SHU where they are subjected to long-term isolation and torturous conditions. One of the only ways these prisoners can get out the SHU is if they “debrief”…that is, give prison officials information on gang activity.
3) Comply with recommendations from a 2006 U.S. commission to “make segregation a last resort” and “end conditions of isolation.”
4) Provide Adequate Food. Prisoners report unsanitary conditions and small quantities of food. They want adequate food, wholesome nutritional meals including special diet meals and an end to the use of food as a way to punish prisoners in the SHU.
5) Expand and provide constructive programs and privileges for indefinite SHU inmates…including the opportunity to “engage in self-help treatment, education, religious and other productive activities…” which are routinely denied. Demands include one phone call per week, more visiting time, permission to have wall calendars, sweat suits and watch caps (warm clothing is often denied even though cells and the exercise cage can be bitterly cold.
Posted in Thoughts
Tags: action, California, Chicago, demands, hunger strike, Pelican Bay, prisoners, rally, State of Illinois, Thompson Center, torture